Col Donald F. Wren is the Commander, 910th Mission Support Group, Air Force Reserve Command, Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio. He is responsible for the equipping and training of over 800 citizen airmen whose mission is to provide peacetime and wartime mission readiness support of the Air Force Reserve Command and the Air Mobility Command.
Col Wren enlisted in the Air Force in 1982 serving 12 years as an Aircraft Fuels Systems Technician. In 1994 he received a direct commission as a second lieutenant through the Deserving Airman Program. Col Wren has served in various positions to include transportation officer, maintenance officer, and installation deployment officer. He has commanded at the flight, squadron, and group levels. Col Wren has managed maintenance and logistics for C-141, C-5, C-17, MQ-1, MQ-9 and HH-60 aircraft. Col Wren also served as a member of the Department of Defense Acquisition Professional Community while in his previous civilian occupation as a Budget and Cost Analyst for several ACAT I and II acquisition programs.
Col Wren is a veteran of Operations DESERT SHIELD, SOUTHERN WATCH, FUNDAMENTAL JUSTICE and numerous other operations and contingencies in support of national objectives. He was called to active duty in 2003 and 2008 to serve in Operation ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. As an Air Reserve Technician, Col Wren holds dual status as a civil service employee and Air Force reservist. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Commander of the 440th Mission Support Group, Pope Field, N.C.
1984 Bachelor of Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1999 Air Command and Staff College, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (AFB), Ohio, by seminar
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2007 Naval Theater Security and Decision Making, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2008 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Va.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. March 1994 – February 1995, Air Transportation Operation Center Duty Officer, 87th Aerial Port Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. February 1995 – March 1996, Chief of Transportation, 445th Logistics Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. March 1996 – April 1998 – Maintenance Officer, 445th Logistics Operations Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. April 1998 – November 2002, Chief of Logistics, 445th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. November 2002 – May 2004, Specialist Flight Commander, 445th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. May 2004 – August 2004, Commander, 445th Mission Support Flight, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. August 2004 – September 2008, Commander, 445th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. September 2008 – January 2009, Deputy Commander, 451st Air Expeditionary Group, Kandahar, Afghanistan.
9. January 2009 – July 2013, Commander, 445th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. July 2013 – Present, Commander, 440th Mission Support Group, Pope Field, N.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three devices
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 3, 1994
First Lieutenant March 3, 1996
Captain October 8, 1998
Major March 25, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel August 15, 2007
Colonel May 28, 2013
(Current as of April 2016)