Colonel Jeffrey A. Van Dootingh is the Commander of the 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio. The wing is comprised of more than 1400 Air Force Reserve and civilian professionals and is equipped with eight C- 130H2 aircraft. The wing trains and employs the C-130 Hercules globally on medium range airlift, tactical airland and airdrop, and Aeromedical Evacuation missions. In addition, the 910th AW is home to the Department of Defense’s only large area, fixed-wing aerial spray mission.
Colonel Van Dootingh commissioned in 1985 upon graduation from the United States Air Force Academy. A 1986 Distinguished Graduate of Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB, Calif., he served over six years on active duty as an instructor navigator and flight safety officer before joining the Air Force Reserve in 1991. As a traditional reservist, he served as the unit standardization/ evaluation navigator while working as a chemist until 1995 when he became a dual status Air Reserve Technician. Since that time, he has held such diverse positions as chief of current operations, flying squadron director of operations, numbered air force director of staff, operations group commander, headquarters division chief, numbered air force director of staff, and wing commander
A master C-130 navigator with over 7,500 flying hours, Col Van Dootingh has amassed more than 420 combat flying hours in Panama, Southwest Asia and the Balkans, including the first C-130 mission into northern Iraq at the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom. As deputy group commander of the DoD’s only fixed-wing aerial spray unit, he flew numerous missions to provide relief from insect-borne diseases in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, eventually spraying a record three million acres and earning him the highest award given by the Centers for Disease Control. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the commander, 403rd Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
1985 Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1990 Flight Safety/Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2000 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Inspector General School, Washington D.C.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by seminar/correspondence
2008 Contingency Wartime Planning Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
2009 NATO Senior Reserve Officer Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany
2012 Safety and Accident Investigation Board President Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2014 Masters of Organizational Leadership, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
1. July 1985 - July 1986, T-37B/T-43A Student Navigator, 450th Flying Training Squadron, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. July 1986 - May 1990, C-130E AWADS Instructor Navigator, 39th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. May 1990 - July 1991, Flight Safety Officer, 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. July 1991 - February 2000, C-130H Standardization/Evaluation Navigator, 757th Airlift Squadron, Youngstown ARS, Ohio
5. February 2000 - February 2005, Chief of Current Operations, 910th Operations Group, Youngstown ARS, Ohio (March - September 2003, Combat Navigator, Ramstein AB, Germany; February – April 2004, Combat Navigator, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait; June - August 2004, Combat Navigator, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan)
6. February 2005 - January 2008, Deputy Commander, 910th Operations Group, Youngstown ARS, Ohio
7. January 2008 - January 2010, Director of Plans, Programs and Requirements, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
8. January 2010 - February 2012, Director of Operations, 758th Airlift Squadron, Pittsburgh International Airport ARS, Pa.
9. February 2012 - June 2013, Commander, 403rd Operations Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
10. June 2013 - August 2014, Chief, Programs Division, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
11. August 2014 - February 2018, Commander, 911th Airlift Wing, Pittsburgh IAP ARS, Pa.
12. February 2018 - June 2019, Director of Staff, 22nd Air Force, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
13. June 2019 - present, Commander, 403rd Wing, Keesler AFB, Miss.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2016 - February 2017, Deputy Director of Mobility Forces, Combined Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Central Command Area of Responsibility
Rating: Master Navigator Military
Flight Hours: More than 7,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-43A, C-130E/H, and WC-130J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' Devices
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Reserve Officers Association, life member
Veteran of Foreign Wars, life member
AMVETS, life member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1985
First Lieutenant May 29, 1987
Captain May 29, 1989
Major October 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel August 18, 2005
Colonel November 11, 2011
(Current as of June 2021)