Colonel Scott Lawson is the Commander of the 910th Operations Group, stationed at Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio. The group is comprised of more than 180 Air Force Reserve members flying and supporting the operations of eight assigned C-130H aircraft, to include the only large area, fixed-wing aerial spray mission within the Department of Defense.
Col Lawson was commissioned through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Oregon State University and graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Management and a minor in Air Force Studies. With nearly 12 years active duty service time including seven deployments in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, Lt Col Lawson transitioned to the Air Force Reserve in 2012. As an Air Reserve Technician, he completed a Masters of Business Administration from Trident University, Cypress, Calif. He has performed duties as Evaluator Pilot, Chief of Wing Safety, Chief Pilot, Deployed Exercise Commander and Director of Operations for the 327th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark., the first C-130J classic association (Air Mobility Command and Air Force Reserve Command Total Force Integration). He also served as the Expeditionary Operations Group commander supporting joint coalition expeditionary aeromedical evacuation and mobility operations for Air Force Reserve Command’s premier exercise, Patriot Warrior.
Col Lawson also deployed as Director of Operations for the 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar where he was responsible for operations providing combat theater airlift support to the Combined Forces Air Component Commander. Operations supported included Inherent Resolve, Freedom’s Sentinel and Resolute Support. Prior to his current position, Col Lawson served as the director of the Commander’s Action Group where he developed strategic alignment initiatives within the 913th Airlift Group and its six squadrons.
2002 Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2002 C-130E Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2005 C-130E Aircraft Commander Qualification Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2007 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2007 C-130H Instructor Pilot School, Little Rock AFB, Ark. 2011 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Master of Business Administration, Trident University, Cypress, Calif.
2015 Air Reserve Component Chief of Safety Course, March ARB, Calif.
2015 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2015 Board Presidents Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2020 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2022 Joint and Combined War Fighting School-Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1. May 2000 – October 2000, Group Training Officer, 305th Operations Group, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2. October 2000 – January 2002, Student, Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla. and Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas
3. January 2002 – July 2002, student pilot, C-130E Pilot Initial Qualification Training, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
4. July 2002 – February 2006, Current Operations and Tactics officer, 317th Operations Support Squadron and 40th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
5. February 2006 – October 2009, C-130E/H2 Instructor Pilot, Unit Deployment Manager and Flight Commander, 2nd Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. October 2009 – February 2012, C-130E/H2 Evaluator Pilot, Wing Scheduling and Training Officer, 314th Airlift Group and 62nd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. March 2012 – October 2014, C-130H2 Evaluator Pilot, Chief Pilot, Chief Flying Training Unit, Pilot Scheduling and Aircrew Training, 913th Airlift Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
8. October 2014 – November 2015, Chief of Wing Safety, C-130H2 Evaluator Pilot, 913th Airlift Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
9. November 2015 – April 2016, student, C-130J Pilot Transition Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
10. April 2016 - May 2019, Director of Operations, 327th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark. (January 2019 - May 2019, Director of Operations, 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
11. May 2019 – August 2020, Director, Commander’s Action Group, 913th Airlift Group, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
12. August 2020 – present, Commander, 910th Operations Group, Youngstown ARS, Ohio.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,600
Combat flight hours:
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-44A, C-130E/H/H2/J
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Combat Action Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal with one device
Operation Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 18, 2000
First Lieutenant April 15, 2002
Captain April 15, 2004
Major Nov. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2016
Colonel March 30, 2022
(Current as of June 2022)