Col. Joe Winchester is the Commander of the 910th Maintenance Group, assigned to the 910th Airlift Wing at Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio. The Maintenance Group's mission is to ensure the airworthiness and combat mission readiness of eight C-130H2 Hercules aircraft assigned to the 910th Airlift Wing in support of tactical airlift, airdrop, Modular Aerial Spray System support and Aeromedical Evacuation missions.
Col. Winchester entered the Air Force in November 1985. After completing basic military training and technical training, he was assigned to Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, Ohio, as a maintenance technician on the KC-135E Stratotanker. After a four-year break in service, Col. Winchester joined the Air Force Reserve in December 1998 with the 927th Air Refueling Wing, Selfridge ANGB, Mich. A graduate of The Ohio State University, Col. Winchester was commissioned in April 2001 through the Deserving Airman Commissioning Program.
During his career, he has held various positions within the Aircraft Maintenance and Logistics career fields to include squadron and deputy group command, MAJCOM and air staff levels. Prior to his current position, Col Winchester was the Commander, 916th Mission Support Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
1993 Bachelor of Art and Science in Aviation Management, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2001 Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2003 Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2005 USAF Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Kirkland AFB, N.M.
2005 USAF Jet Engine Mishap Investigation Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2005 Maintenance Officer Intermediate Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2006 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala, in-residence
2013 Master of Operational Arts and Science Degree, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Command and Staff College Online Masters Program, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, National Defense University, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2017 Naval Theater Security & Decision Making, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2019 Air War College, Seminar Distance Learning Program, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2022 Security Cooperation Organization 201, Defense Security Cooperation University, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2022 Foreign Affairs Counter Tactics (FACT), Foreign Affairs Security Training Center, Blackstone, Va.
1. November 1985 - April 1994, Aircraft Mechanic, 161 CAMS, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
2. December 1998 - April 2001, Crew Chief, 927th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
3. April 2001 - February 2003, Intelligence Officer, 927th Operations Support Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
4. February 2003 - June 2006, Operations Officer, 927th Maintenance Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
5. June 2006 - June 2007, Operations Officer, 191st Maintenance Squadron, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
6. June 2007 - June 2009, Commander, 191st Maintenance Operations Flight, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
7. June 2009 - January 2011, Commander, 927th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. January 2011 - August 2012, Chief, Force Management Maintenance Section, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
9. August 2012 - June 2013, Chief, Force Management/TFI Branch, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
10. June 2013 - February 2018, Chief, Logistics and Maintenance Plans & Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. February 2018 - July 2019, Deputy Commander, 916th Maintenance Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
12. July 2019 - August 2020, Commander, 916th Mission Support Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
13. August 2020 - present, Commander, 910th Maintenance Group, Youngstown ARS, Ohio
April 2022 - Nov 2022, Deputy Chief, Security Cooperation Organization, Office of the Defense Representative-Pakistan (ODRP), U.S. Embassy, Islamabad, Pakistan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal, three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 20, 2001
First Lieutenant April 20, 2003
Captain April 20, 2005
Major April 08, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Sept 01, 2017
Colonel April 20, 2022
(Current as of Jan 2023)