Colonel Mike Maloney is the Commander, 910th Airlift Wing, Youngstown Air Reserve Station, Ohio. The wing is comprised of more than 1400 Air Force Reserve and civilian professionals and is equipped with eight C-130H2 aircraft. As commander, he is responsible for the training of personnel and employment of C-130 Hercules aircraft globally on medium range airlift, tactical airland and airdrop, as well as Aeromedical Evacuation missions. In addition, the 910th AW is home to the Department of Defense’s only large area, fixed-wing aerial spray mission.
Colonel Maloney was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Missouri. He began his career as a navigator and electronic warfare officer in the B-52H at Barksdale Air Force Base before graduating from pilot training in 2002.
Colonel Maloney is a Command Pilot with more than 5,000 military and civilian hours. He has also been assigned as the Wing Inspector General and Director of Inspections, and has deployed to Entebbe, Uganda as the Commander of the Joint Special Operations Detachment-Uganda and the 5th Expeditionary Special Operations Squadron. Finally, Colonel Maloney has been the Chief, Foreign Language Training and Senior Director, Air Force Special Operations Command, and the US Air Forces Europe, Air Forces Africa liaison officer to US Africa Command. Prior to his current assignment, the colonel was the Chief, Programs Division, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
1995 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science, University of Missouri, Columbia
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of International Relations, Troy University, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Master of Business Administration, Washington University, St Louis, Mo.
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
2018 Combined Joint Warfare School, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va
2019 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2019 Air Mobility Command Nuclear Leadership Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
2022 Graduate, Data Analytics Boot Camp, Washington University, St Louis, Mo.
1. June 1995 – June 1996, Student, Joint Specialized Staff Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. June 1996 – August 1996, Student, Naval Flight Officer Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
3. August 1996 – January 1997, Student, Joint Aviation Electronic Warfare School, Naval Air Technical Training Center, Corry Station, Fla.
4. January 1997 – September 1997, Student, B-52H Initial Qualification Training, Barksdale AFB, La.
5. September 1997 – February 2000, B-52H Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. February 2000 – April 2002, B-52H Formal Training Unit Instructor, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
7. April 2002 – July 2003, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
8. July 2003 – October 2013, MC-130E Special Operations Pilot, Instructor Pilot, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 711th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Fla.
9. October 2013 – September 2015, Assistant Director of Operations, 711th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Fla.
10. September 2015 – September 2016, Wing Inspector General, Director of Inspections, 919th Special Operations Wing, Duke Field, Fla.
11. September 2016 – September 2017, C-40C Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, Chief of Scheduling, 73rd Airlift Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. September 2017 – May 2018, Director of Operations, 932nd Operations Support Flight, Scott AFB, Ill.
13. June 2018 – February 2021, Commander, 932nd Operations Group, Scott AFB, Ill.
14. February 2021 – May 2023, Chief, Programs Division, HQ AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. May 2023 – present, Commander, 910th Airlift Wing, YARS, Ohio
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2014 – January 2015, Commander, Joint Special Operations Detachment-Uganda, Commander, 6th Expeditionary Special Operations Squadron, Entebbe, Uganda, as a lieutenant colonel
2. May 2015 – August 2015, USAFE/AFAF Liaison Officer to US Africa Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 5,000+ military and civilian
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-39, T-43, T-1, B-52H, C-130E, MC-130E, L-382G, C-145, and C-40C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with 5 oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air and Space Commendation medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
NATO Medal (Kosovo)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1995
First Lieutenant May 31, 1997
Captain May 31, 1999
Major May 31, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel August 23, 2011
Colonel June 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2023)